WHAT IS CAN-DO PLAYGROUND?
Can-Do Playground is a Boundless Playground. In a nutshell, a
Boundless Playground is an integrated play area in which all children,
those who are 100% enabled and those with disabilities, can play
together, interactively. The objective is to design an area that is
barrier free, socially inviting and contains play environment
groupings. Learn more at: www.boundlessplaygrounds.org
Opening in 2007, Can-Do Playground is a place where dreams
are never disabled:
Can-Do Playground is designed as a 26,000 square foot childrens'
playground and garden to provide play and adventure opportunities for
children of all ages and abilities. Play apparatus will physically
challenge users of the playground, while the garden will offer mazes,
games and theme gardens to challenge the mind and visually enhance the
- Challenging - Every child will be challenged at the Can-Do
Playground with multiple areas of sensory, physical and creative
- Accessible - Over 70% of the play activities will be
accessible to every child who visits the Can-Do Playground.
- Opportunity - The Can-Do Playground is an entire universe of
new opportunity for kids with disabilities.
Can-Do Playground Facts:
For a detailed conceptual drawing of the park in PDF format, please click here.
- Opened on July 11, 2007, The Can-Do Playground, accessible to children with and without disabilities, is the first public playground of its kind in Delaware.
- Some 8,000 children in our community have disabilities that make it difficult or impossible for them to enjoy traditional playgrounds.
- Every child, regardless of physical, mental and sensory abilities, can enjoy and use the equipment in the Can-Do Playground.
- These children can join others because the Can-Do Playground is designed to enable their participation.
- The Can-Do Playground has been developed in conjunction with the National Center for Boundless PlaygroundsTM, a leader in the creation of accessible playgrounds.
- Location: Eastern section of the new Alapocas Run State Park that is part of the Blue Ball Project adjacent to Route 202 in north Wilmington, Delaware.
- Size: 23,000 square feet.
- Sponsors & Developers: Six Wilmington-area Rotary clubs -- Brandywine, Brandywine Hundred, Caesar Rodney, Naamans, Wilmington and Wilmington West in partnership with Delaware Department of Transportation and Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control’s Division of Parks and Recreation, which have provided the land and will complete all site preparation.
- Total cost, including land and improvements: $989,000.
- Fundraising status: to date, the Fundraising Committee and the six Rotary clubs have raised 100% of the $489,000 goal.
- This project celebrates the Centennial of Rotary International, the world’s oldest private service organization.
The Can-Do Playground is
located off Weldin Road next to the entrance to Rock Manor Golf Course,
just east of the wooded area and north of the play fields.
Copyright © 2017, Can-Do Playground.
All Rights Reserved.
4361 Weldin Road
Wilmington, DE 19803
1104 Philadelphia Pike
Wilmington, DE 19809